Monday, December 27, 2010

Dolphin Headboard


This is the photo I just received from a friend ...
her daughter just loves dolphins.
Her grandfather wanted to make her a headboard
as a Christmas present 
and I was asked to paint the details.


This is what I got ... completely sanded and base coated.
Just the way I like to start a project!

 (Personal Note: I haven't met "Grandpa"
but I would paint details for him any day ...
he did a fabulous job sanding and base coating this!)

And here is the photo I was given:



 This was a personal challenge for me.  I consider my style
to be more "whimsical" and less "realistic" ...
 and these are some seriously realistic dolphins!!
 

I started with a horizon line; 
(where the water meets the sky).
I base coated the dolphins with gray acrylic paint.

 My signature "dip dot eyes"
I say signature, because I am incapable
of making any other kind. 
Believe me, I've tried.
It's not pretty.  It's pretty scary ...

I used black and white to mix various shades of
gray for shading and highlighting ...



 ... and for the fluffy clouds and the suggestion
of waves, I used a wash of white.



I was concerned about these dolphins actually
looking like they were jumping out of the water;
and I was concerned about making the water
actually look like water ...
but I used a toothbrush to spatter white paint onto
the tails and "water" beneath,
and when that was completely dry,
I brushed several coats of Extreme Glitter over the water.



 I know I did the best job I could do ...
and I hear the recipient is happy so I'm
completely pleased!
Her happiness is all that matters in the end.

Challenge yourself!
I'll tic that off my own list as Lesson Learned!

No comments: