Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Clay Dough Ornaments

Bright, White Clay Dough


While I can always use the salt scrub effect
on my dry, papery man-hands ~
(you know, rinsing my paintbrush after every
color change really does a number
on my skin!)
~ I've made the salt dough ornaments.

You know, the classic 
"been there, done that"
so when I found a recipe for smooth, bright
white ornaments ... I had to try it!




Here's the recipe:

2 Cups Baking Soda
1 Cup Cornstarch
1 1/4 Cups Water 

 
 Stir ingredients together in a 2 quart saucepan.


Bring to a boil over medium-high heat,
stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.


Continue to stir until mixture is boiling.




Once the mixture starts to boil,
things will happen quickly!  Continue to
stir ~ suddenly the mixture will
resemble mashed potatoes.
 


As soon as the mixture looks like mashed
potatoes, immediately dump onto
a cookie sheet and cover with a damp
towel.  Allow mixture to cool.


Spread work surface with a light
dusting of cornstarch.

Divide dough in half, keeping the
unused half under the damp towel to
preserve the texture.
(It dries out fairly quickly).


Use cookie cutters or small knife to cut shapes.


Don't forget to poke holes for hanging!
I used a straw.
You could also use rubber stamps
to make impressions on the soft dough.
Love the idea, but we were iced
in and unable to even leave the driveway
and my stamp collection resides
down the street and across the way in my
studio.  Which might as well be in
Siberia since I can't leave my house.


Shapes will air dry, but you can speed
the drying process along by placing
them in a preheated 250 degree oven.
After 15 minutes, turn the shapes and
continue to dry, or bake another 15 minutes.

Allow to cool before painting
and adding ribbon for hanging.





 


~ Peace and Productive Snow Days ~

 

No comments: