Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hive Creative Challenge - Autumn Scarecrow

Autumn!
I love Autumn!  I love the colors of the changing leaves, decorating my porch with pumpkins, mums, hay bales, cornstalks, baskets, sunflowers, and ... a scarecrow!

It's so easy to get wrapped up in the busyness of the school year ... it seems we are always running off to a ball game or a track meet or dance lessons or basketball practice ... our evenings are spent hurriedly cleaning up the dinner dishes so we can work with each kid on his vocabulary words, spelling, reading assignment, math, science, social studies ...

I stepped out of character yesterday and followed my ten year old around the yard with my camera ... he showed me a fallen birds nest, a tiny mouse skeleton (seriously!) and a huge garden spider.  He climbed the neighbor's apple tree and picked apples and pears ... and I still got my daughter to dance class on time.
I also exhibited my OCD tendencies yesterday ... before I picked the kids up from school, before my trek out in the field, I felt inspired!  I knew exactly what I wanted to paint and I rummaged around in my garage until I found the perfect surface.  I didn't eat, or drink, or take a break - I simply focused on my project, and here it is:

I sanded it, wiped it clean, and brushed on a coat of Weathered Wood.
I rolled on a coat of paint (it cracks a bit - which I like)
I applied my main pattern outlines with transfer paper and a stylus
Painted like crazy ...
... and added the details with a permanent marking pen (after sealing, of course)
This is how I spent my Monday ... I wonder what I'll feel inspired to paint today?

1 comment:

Faye Hadfield said...

That's amazing - good luck in the hive comp! x