Friday, December 31, 2010

Hors D'Oeuvres

For the first time since we spent
New Year's Eve
driving from the border of Mexico
to Oklahoma,
(btw - not the best time for that trip)
I find myself at home
- snug as a bug in a rug -
instead of dressed in shiny bling and
killer high heels.



This super simple recipe is the only thing
I know of that will literally bring 
my twelve-year-old 
flying off the XBox ... still
wearing his headset,
to inhale them.
(Note: photo is of my ten year old;
he snagged the last one!)

Pre-heat oven (or toaster oven) to 350°.
One can of water chestnuts, pre-cooked bacon, 
and toothpicks ... that's it!!!


Wipe down can before opening
to remove any dirt, dust, or unmentionables.
(I know ... I'm over-cautious).
 

Drain liquid and discard.
 


Blot chestnuts with paper towels.

  


 
Cut bacon strips in half.



Place water chestnut in center of bacon strip.

 

Fold one end of bacon over chestnut.

 

Fold other half of bacon strip over chestnut ...

 

Fasten ends to chestnut with a toothpick.


  
Place onto toaster oven tray.
(or onto cookie sheet lined with foil)


 
Repeat with remaining chestnuts and bacon.
You're almost there!

 

Bake for 10 minutes ... 

 
  
Serve immediately ...
or as fast as XBox boy can cross the room.



 Literally three minutes later,
and they're ALL GONE!!!

Yumm-Oh!!!

No comments: