Friday, December 3, 2010

School Spirit Ornaments

For the past twelve years, I've been painting
Christmas ornaments for
all the kids in my child's Mother's Day Out program,
Kindergarten, and Elementary School classes.



Of course, that first year I only had to make ten.
This year ... EIGHTY!!!

I wanted to post one of each of the ornaments
I've made over the years, but
since my tree was fully decorated
after opening the first three boxes of ornaments,
I'm thinking they must be still sitting
in the barn.  Perhaps I'll start
opening the boxes from the BACK of the stack
next year - shake things up a little!




Check this out.  I painted jumbo craft sticks and
sent them home with my QCG
(Qualified Crafty Girlfriend)
to have her husband cut the rounded tips off.


This is was she brought me the next morning:




Look what he did!
 How wonderful!  Perfectly trimmed and bundled!
I LOVE this!!!




For each project, you'll need a mini chalkboard
(I used 3" x 3" and 3" x 2")
a craft stick, a chunky painted bird, a tiny Santa hat,
red acrylic paint, white paint pen,
and a partridge in a pear tree.



Paint mini chalkboard trim red (thank you, QCG!)
Paint craft stick red, sand the edges,
and use the paint pen to write the school's name.
My kids have "CLEORA"
and the twenty-five we made for QCG's kids
say "RIDGYS"
 

Use Tacky Glue to attach the craft stick to the chalkboard.
I allowed these to dry overnight. 


Here are my chunky painted birds.  I found them here:
 http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/products/1302_2533_1857-20713-primitive_carved_wood_red_birds_package_of_12.html

 

Here are my tiny Santa hats:
I found them at Hobby Lobby.

 
 And finally, the holly ... just to add color.
Again, Hobby Lobby.






Okay - I'm off to hot-glue eighty tiny Santa hats
onto eighty tiny chunky painted birds
so I can hot-glue eighty Santa-hat-clad birds
onto eighty mini chalkboards
then add the holly - for color - 


Peace Out!!!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my... I've just been trying to get ornaments made for all of my boys' current teachers - just preschool and activity teachers - not even the classmates - and I'm tired! I can't imagine... You are quite a wonder taking that on! Lucky kids!

Unknown said...

Thank you! I'm hoping at least a dozen of these kids will have a good start on an ornament collection of their own by the time they graduate 8th grade! (Okay, I'm secretly hoping for MORE than a dozen!!)