Friday, October 8, 2010

Old Settler's Beans

My house smells so good right now!



I just brought the ribs inside from the smoker
 and put them in the oven (tightly covered) ...
they look fabulous and they'll be falling off the
bone by dinner time!

I suppose I should have taken a picture of them;
I'm alone today and I've decided I definitely need a helper
in order to get the best pics.

The photos for this recipe won't be step by step -
but it's a very simple recipe and not difficult to follow along.

(I know it's not pretty - but I use the cooker bag in the
crock pot because I hate clean-up even more than I hate cooking)!


Brown 1 lb ground beef (97/3), in a skillet.  Add 1/2 teaspoon
onion powder, one teaspoon coarse black pepper.
Add one diced onion and  four strips bacon.
Brown and mix together.



Add three cans of beans to the meat.  Butter Beans are my favorite;
but my family balks when I don't mix it up.
Pork n Beans, Chili Beans, and Great Northern Beans are good, too.





In a small bowl, mix 1/2 C white sugar, 1/2 C brown sugar,
1/4 C ketchup, 1 teaspoon wet mustard (or 1/2 t dry mustard).




Add to the meat & bean mixture, stir thoroughly.
Pour into the crock pot.  Heat on High for two hours, then turn
heat to low until you're ready to serve.
(They'll be ready to eat after two hours ... cooking
longer just gives the spices a chance to do their thing).

I started mine at 7:30 this morning, and had a bowl for lunch.
Yum-O!!!


No comments: